The Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence (US)
In the coming decades, humanity will likely create a powerful artificial intelligence. The Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence (SIAI) exists to confront this urgent challenge, both the opportunity and the risk. Our objectives as an organization are:
- To ensure the development of friendly Artificial Intelligence, for the benefit of all mankind;
- To prevent unsafe Artificial Intelligence from causing harm;
- To encourage rational thought about our future as a species.
What The Singularity Institute (US) Do
About SSIT Australia
The Society on Social Implications of Technology (Australia) was formed at the end of 2005. It is part of a worldwide SSIT within the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). At present our areas of interest include technology usage, technology and privacy, technology and development, sustainability, and ethics in engineering education.
Highlights of our first three years included:
* Technical meetings in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Wollongong
* An active committee of around 10 people from diverse backgrounds
* A membership and contacts list of more than 160 people across Australia
* Planning days in 2007 and 2009 to review and plan SSIT activities
* A web site and national electronic newsletter
We have an exciting schedule of activities for 2009 and 2010, including:
* In late 2009 a conference on technology and remote Australians
* In 2010, the global SSIT conference ISTAS (International Symposium on Technology and Society) to be held in Wollongong
* Plans for several technical meetings throughout the year
All of these events are described on this site.
We have keen interest in working with groups in related fields. SSIT’s contribution is to encourage discussion regarding the relationship between technology and society among people with a technical perspective, or people working with technologists.
All our technical meetings are open to the public, and we welcome your attendance.
IEEE Computational Intelligence
The office bearers are:
Watch the news section for upcoming events.
Nonlinear System Identification using Structured Kernel Techniques